The Cisco VPN client disables Fast User Switching with a registry key, and the client is loaded before the user boots into Windows. The following error may occur when installing or uninstalling the Cisco VPN client.
The Login User Interface DLL CSGina.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL.
How to Fix Csgina.dll Failed to Load Error
This method requires you to alter your registry entries. Registry changes are irreversible without a backup. You are advised to create a backup prior to executing any changes.
- Boot in Safe Mode by pressing on F8 after the startup beep but before the Windows screen.
- Go to Start and then go on to Run.
- Enter regedit.
- Your registry editor will come up.
- Go to
- On the right hand pane of the registry editor, look for GinaDLL.
- Right click on GinaDLL.
- Select Delete. Be careful to delete only GinaDLL and not the entire Winlogon folder key.
- Exit the registry and reboot your PC.
The above mentioned method will work for users who do not use Start before Logon. For users who do, the Start before Logon feature will use a “fall back mode.”
To use fall back mode:
- Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems\VPN Client.
- Locate GinaInstalled on the right hand pane.
- Double click on GinaInstalled.
- Change the value data from 0x00000001 to 0x00000000.
You can use this method if you do not have a GUI at Startup and are unable to load in Safe Mode.
- Load Recovery Console.
- Type the following commands:
COPY CSGina.dll OldCSGina.dll
COPY MSGina.dll CSGina.dll
- Overwrite if you get a prompt.
- Exit Recovery Console.
- Check to see if you can log on to your profile.
You may want to refer to this Microsoft help page for more information.
GINA modules are no longer used with Windows Vista because the GINA functionality of earlier versions has been replaced by a credential provider model.
If you are using Vista and receive csgina.dll error messages, you should:
- Contact your vendor for a replacement if you obtained the custom GINA module from a third party.
- Develop a new solution that will use the credential provider module if you created a custom GINA module.
This method is for users of the Cisco Systems VPN dialer.
You can no longer use Fast User Switching feature of Windows XP when you install the Cisco Systems VPN dialer.
This happens because the Microsoft Graphical Identification and Authentication file (Msgina.dll) is overwritten by Cisco Systems’ filter driver file (CSGina.dll).
This method involves editing the registry so be sure to create a backup. There are inherent risks when editing the registry, but you can minimize these risk by creating a backup as registry changes are irreversible without one.
- Go to Start and then go to Run.
- Enter regedit.
- Click File and then Export.
- Type exported-winlogon-key in the File name box.
- Locate GinaDLL in the right hand pane of the registry editor.
- Click Delete.
- Exit the registry.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Proceed to Add Remove Programs.
- Locate and remove Cisco Systems VPN Dialer.
Registry related errors can be identified, resolved and prevented with a good registry cleaner like PCHealthBoost. Be sure to run regular registry scans to help prevent errors from occurring and to help maintain your system’s health.