Many users of the HP Laserjet 1020/1022 printer series have been experiencing problems printing certain files. The common problem among the owners of these printers is the hanging up of the spooler service. Zr.dll is pointed to as the faulting module.
The most common error message is listed below:
Faulting application spoolsv.exe, version 5.1.2600.2696, faulting module ZSR.DLL, version 6.20.1625.0, fault address 0×0001f979.
Users have noticed that this error occurs only when PDF files are being printed. Other file formats work without problems. Only when PDF files are being printed does the issue arise. The problem is documented in the HP forums but no official HP representative has addressed the issue.
PCL supported printers are necessary to print PDF files. The Laserjet 1020 is a HOST based Printer which makes it unable to print PDF files.
There is no clear cut resolution to this issue as of yet. However, HP has devised a workaround to the issue. Users have also come up with their own methods to resolve the error. A few of these methods are listed below:
- Download and install FinePrint.
- Point to FinePrint when printing PDF documents.
- Select the printer you want the PDF files to print to.
- FinePrint will provide your 1020 printer with PCL capabilities.
- Download and install a generic post script printer driver.
- Download this PPD file as installation of the post script printer driver requires this.
- Follow the instructions in this Microsoft article.
- Inside Adobe Reader, click on Advanced.
- Select Print as Image.
- This will remove the spooler error.
- Create a file clean_spooler.bat and insert:net stop “spooler”
del /S /Q c:\windows\system32\Spool\Printers\*
net start “spooler”
- Inform users to use the above every time they experience problems with a driver.