Purpose of Msvbvm60.dll
The msvbvm60.dll file belongs to the Microsoft Windows operating system and is required for proper functioning of programs that are written in Visual Basic, such as various graphics software and gaming programs. The DLL file is part of the Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack and gets installed on your computer when you download Visual Basic 6 Runtime.
On Windows NT/2000 systems, the msvbvm60.dll file is stored in C:\WINNT\System32 folder and on Windows XP/Vista systems the file can be found in C:\Windows\System32 folder.
Common Msvbvm60.dll Errors
Listed below are examples of common msvbvm60.dll error messages that you may encounter while running or installing a program:
- “Unable to install the application. An important component – msvbvm60.dll is missing.”
- “File msvbvm60.dll not found.”
These error messages clearly show that errors have occurred due to missing a msvbvm60.dll file.
Steps to Replace the Missing Msvbvm60.dll File
You need to perform the following steps to download Visual Basic 6 Runtime and then install it to replace the missing msvbvm60.dll file:
- Open the Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0 page.
- If your operating system’s language is not English, open the Change Language drop-down menu in the Quick Details section, select your language and then click Change.
- Next, click the Download button and select Save in the File Download box. Save the file in a location that is easy to locate. For instance, you may choose to save it on the Desktop.
- Double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation of Visual Basic 6.0 Server Pack.
- Next, click Yes to accept the License Agreement and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- If prompted, restart your system.
Msvbvm60.dll Issues in Windows Vista
Many issues related to msvbvm60.dll file occur on Windows Vista PCs because the Vista operating system is incompatible with the older versions of the msvbvm60.dll file. To ensure that you are not running an older version of the Msvbvm60.dll file, use the Search command in the Start menu to locate the file and determine its version. If the version of the Msvbvm60.dll file is 184.108.40.206, you will need to replace it with the newer version. Download the latest version of the Msvbvm60.dll file from the Microsoft website and then install it on your computer to repair the errors.
How to Prevent Msvbvm60.dll Errors
Apart from the missing or older version of the DLL file, msvbvm60.dll errors may also occur due to malware infection, registry problems, and outdated programs.
Keep your system secure from malware programs, such as virus, worms, trojans, and spyware by installing robust antivirus tool and antispyware tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease. Besides deploying these protective tools, also install a Firewall on your system to block unauthorized access to your systems.
Registry issues also lead to recurring DLL errors. Perform regular registry scans, using a reliable tool, such as PCHealthBoost to maintain a healthy and clean registry.
Last, but not the least; update your drivers, software, and operating system regularly with the latest hotfixes, patches, and other security releases that are periodically released by manufacturers. This will not only prevent errors, such as DLL errors, but will also boost your system’s security and efficiency.