What is Uncdms.dll?
The uncdms.dll file is associated with the Windows Desktop Search Application that is used to find and preview different types of files, such as documents, email messages, photos, and music files on a computer.
By default, the uncdms.dll file is found in C:\Windows\System32 folder. The file is most commonly found in 143,872 bytes size.
When you start your system, you may encounter the following uncdms.dll errors:
- “Windowssearch.exe – cannot find the component. This application has failed to start because uncdms.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.”
- “The file uncdms.dll is missing.”
Common Causes of Uncdms.dll Errors
These Uncdms.dll errors may occur when the uncdms.dll file is removed or corrupted. Some of the common causes of uncdms.dll missing errors are:
- Missing uncdms.dll file
- Malware corruption
- Registry issues
Depending on the cause of the uncdms.dll error, you may use one of the following methods to fix the issue on your computer:
Method 1: Uninstall and reinstall Windows Desktop Search
The uncdms.dll file is installed on your PC when you download the Windows Desktop Search application. Problems with files of this application may cause a uncdms.dll missing error to appear on your system.
To uninstall the Windows Desktop Search from your computer, you need to complete the following two tasks:
Task 1: Remove Windows Desktop Search from startup sequence
To achieve this, follow the steps below:
- Click the Start menu and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type the msconfig command and then press Enter.
- In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the Startup tab.
- Locate and clear the checkbox for any option that is related to Windows Desktop Search or uncdms.dll.
- Restart your computer.
Task 2: Uninstall the Windows Desktop Search Application
To uninstall the Windows Desktop Search using the Add or Remove Programs utility, perform the following steps:
- Click the Start menu and select the Control Panel utility.
- Double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon.
- In the Add or Remove Programs window, locate and select the Windows Desktop Search.
- Next, press the Remove button.
- Restart your computer.
Alternatively, to ensure quick and complete removal of programs, you may use a reliable third-party uninstaller tool, such as Perfect Uninstaller.
Next, you can install the Windows Desktop Search by downloading Windows Desktop Search for free from the Microsoft Download Center.
Method 2: Perform a Malware Scan
If the uncdms.dll error is occurring because of a malware infection, run a virus/malware scan of your complete system using reliable and advanced anti-malware tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease.
To prevent future DLL errors due to malware infection, ensure that your protective software is up-to-date with the latest virus definitions and security updates.
Method 3: Run a Registry Scan
If the above two steps do not fix the uncdms.dll error, it is recommended that you scan your registry using efficient registry cleaning software, such as PCHealthBoost to ensure entries related to the uncdms.dll file in the registry are valid and correct.
Often, registry issues are found to be the root cause of most DLL errors. PCHealthBoost is a powerful registry cleaning tool that allows you to perform custom registry scans to find and fix DLL errors.