Hcwtvwnd.dll – File Information
The hcwtvwnd.dll file is developed by the Hauppauge Computer Works Company for its WinTV drivers. This file is required to watch, record, and play back television shows on a computer. Removal of this file adversely affects the functionalities of your audio/video drivers and game controllers.
Initially, the hcwtvwnd.dll file was developed for WinTV 2000. Later, updated versions of the hcwtvwnd.dll were released with every new WinTV release.
Hcwtvwnd.dll requirements on a Windows XP computer
For the hcwtvwnd.dll to function properly, your Windows XP computer must meet the following requirements:
- 1.5 GHz of Processor speed.
- 128 MB of RAM.
Hcwtvwnd.dll memory usage
The hcwtvwnd.dll file is recorded to consume medium memory resources and is not known to cause system slowdowns or system freeze ups.
In this article, we discuss the two most common hcwtvwnd.dll errors and their resolutions:
When you try to run the WinTV application, you may receive the following error:
“Win/TV Initialization error, a required component (hcwtvwnd.dll) is missing”
Cause of the Error
Generally, the WinTV hcwtvwnd.dll error is caused by mismatched driver files.
To resolve the error, install the latest WinTV driver files.
Note: To prevent hcwtvwnd.dll errors due to outdated driver files, regularly update your drivers. You can do this manually, using the Device Manager utility, or use the help of a reliable third-party Driver Scanner tool, such as Driver Finder.
When you try to install a TV tuner card, you may encounter the following error:
“The application has failed to start because HCWTVWND.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem”
Cause of the Error
Typically, this TV tuner card hcwtvwnd.dll error occurs due to either of the following reasons:
- Driver files are not unpacked.
- Hcwtvwnd.dll is missing.
- Hcwtvwnd.dll is corrupt.
To resolve this issue, perform either of the following corrective measures:
Unpack the driver files
If the above error is occurring because the driver files are not unpacked, perform the following steps to repair the hcwtvwnd.dll issue:
- Double-click HCWTVWND to unpack the driver.
- Next, when prompted, select a location (for example, Windows/System32) to save the driver files.
- Next, right-click My Computer and click Properties.
- Next, click the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button.
- Now, double-click the Sound, video and game controllers device type.
- Double-click the device that has a yellow exclamation mark next to it.
- Next, in the driver properties dialog box that opens, click the Driver tab and then the Update Driver button.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install the new driver.
Download the hcwtvwnd.dll file from the Internet
If the above error occurs due to a missing hcwtvwnd.dll, download hcwtvwnd.dll from a reliable and trustworthy online DLL directory and save the file in the Windows\System32 folder. Next, perform the following steps to register the hcwtvwnd.dll:
- Click Start and select Run.
- In the Open box, type the following command and press Enter to register hcwtvwnd.dll:
regsvr32 \ hcwtvwnd.dll
Perform a malware scan
You may also use a reliable registry tool, such as RegServe, to perform a thorough registry scan and then repair all identified errors.