The msoe.dll file is one of the key components of the Microsoft Outlook Express email program. Errors related to this file may prevent Outlook Express from functioning normally on your system.
This article deals with a specific msoe.dll error and its resolution methods.
Msoe.dll Error Message
You may come across the following msoe.dll error message while working on your computer:
?Outlook Express could not be started because Msoe.dll could not be loaded?
Msor.dll Error Causes
You may receive the msoe.dll error message on a Windows ME computer if the Windows Address Book is deleted from the system.
Another reason behind the error could be the presence of two versions of Outlook Express on your computer.
Solution to Msoe.dll Error
In order to correct missing address book issues on Windows ME, you will need to restore the Address Book. Follow the steps given below to achieve this.
- Go to the Control Panel and choose the Add or Remove Program option.
- Click on the Windows Setup tab and select the Address Book checkbox.
- Now, click OK to reinstall the Address Book component.
- Finally, restart your PC to implement the changes.
If you have two Outlook Express versions on your computer, to resolve the error, you will first need to remove the current Outlook Express installation from your PC and then reinstall a fresh copy of the program from the installation files.
For instance, let?s say you have Outlook Express 5.x and 6.x files on your system. To remove these programs, you need to follow the steps listed below:
- First, ensure that you make a backup of your Outlook Express emails and Address book.
- Open the My Computer window, select the Tools tab, click Folder Options, and then open the View tab.
- Select the Show hidden files and folders option.
- Clear the boxes that appear for the Hide file extensions for known file types and Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended) options.
- Click the Yes option that appears to confirm your decision and close the dialog box.
- Now, Open Windows Explorer to locate and rename the following folders:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery
- C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Identities or C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities
- C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book or C: \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Address Book
Note: You can rename the folders as Stationery_old, Identities_old, and Address_Book_old.
- Open the Registry Editor window by running the Regedit command and delete the below mentioned entries pertaining to the Outlook Express program.
Warning: Take a backup of the registry, before you proceed with the below steps.
- Rename the following files, both in C:\Winnt \System32 and C:\Winnt \System32 \Dllcache folders.
On completion of all of these steps, restart your computer and reinstall the version of Outlook Express you wish to keep. Once you have installed Outlook Express, import your Address Book and messages from the backup that you took earlier.
To prevent and fix DLL errors, such as the msoe.dll error discussed here, it is also essential for you to maintain a malware and registry problems-free computer. The simplest and most recommended way to achieve this goal is by using the latest and most up-to-date, virus scanner, spyware scanner, and registry cleaner tools.