In this article, we will discuss an instance of slbcsp.dll error that you may come across while installing an HP Printer on your Windows computer.
When installing an HP printer on a Windows computer, the installation process stops and you may receive an error message, similar to the one described below:
"Issues stopping installation:
This is a Cryptographic Service Provider manufactured by Microsoft.
This is a SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP manufactured by Microsoft.
These registry keys do not exist and are required for installation to continue. Please ensure that the registry keys exist and click Retry to continue installation."
Before proceeding with repair steps, ensure that there is only one copy of slbcsp.dll and sccbase.dll files in your C:\Windows\System32 folder.
Now, to resolve the above error, you need to create the following two subkeys:
Perform the following steps to achieve this:
Warning: The above steps require you to edit the registry. It is important that you perform the following steps as they are given. Incorrectly modifying registry may inflict serious damage to your computer. Always back up the registry before editing it. You may use the help of a reliable registry cleaning tool, such as RegServe to make registry backups or you may back up the registry manually.
- Go to the Start menu and click Run.
- Type regedit in the Open box and press Enter.
- Locate the following registry key
- Select the Provider key.
- Next, click the Edit menu in the Registry Editor window, select New and then click Key.
- Name the new Key as Schlumberger Cryptographic Service Provider.
- Repeat the steps 4 and 5. This time name the new key as Infineon SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP.
- Next, select the first key you created, that is Schlumberger Cryptographic Service Provider.
- Now, right-click on an empty area on the right-pane of Registry Editor window, select New, and then click String Value.
- Right-click on the new string value you created, click Rename and then rename the value to Image Path.
- Now, right-click the string value, Image Path, click Modify, and in the box under Value data write C:\WINDOWS\system32\slbcsp.dll.
- Click OK.
- Next, select the Infineon SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP key.
- Repeat the step 9 and 10.
- Next, right-click the string value, Image Path, click Modify and in the box under Value data write C:\WINDOWS\system32\sccbase.dll.
- Click OK.
- Again, select the Schlumberger Cryptographic Service Provider Key.
- Right-click on an empty area in the right-pane of the Registry Editor window, select New, and then click DWORD value and rename it to SigInFile.
- Again, right-click on an empty area in the right-pane, select New, and then click DWORD value and rename the value as Type.
- Next, right-click on the value Type, select Modify, and in the box under Value data, type 1. You may select Base as either Hexadecimal or Decimal.
- Click OK.
- Next, select the Infineon SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP key in the left-pane of Registry Editor window.
- Repeat the steps 18, 19, and 20.
- Click OK.
How to prevent slbcsp.dll errors
The most common cause of slbcsp.dll errors is malware infection. Malware programs deliberately corrupt or delete the slbcsp.dll file and cause recurring DLL errors. To prevent slbcsp.dll errors occurring due to malware infection, install robust security tools, such as STOPzilla Antivirus and Spyware Cease on your computer.