Running SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager and SQL Server 2005 Management Studio side by side can prove to be a challenge. If you need to run SQL 2005 Management Studio while keeping the ability to move DTS packages into 2005 while needing to run SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager and needing to manage SQL 2000 installs including diagrams, you may be in for some tough times.
You will get an semsfc.dll not found error message if you install SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager on a machine that has SQL Server 2005 Management Studio already installed. Both may be run side by side as long as SQL 2000 DTS Designer Components for SQL 2005 Management Studio. If you install the SQL 2000 DTS Designer Components, you will start having issues.
The error message you will get when this happens will most likely look like this.
Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point ?ProcessExecute@@YAXPAUHWND__@@PBG1@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library SEMSFC.dll.
SQL Server Enterprise Manager
Connection to application object failed. Ensure that no program modules have been deleted.
How to Fix Semsfc.dll Error
You can remove this error by following the steps listed below:
- Install SQL 2000 Client Tools. Be sure to include SP4.
- When you finishing installing SQL 2000 Client Tools and SP4, install SQL 2005 Management Studio.
- Ensure that the compatibility files are installed.
- After that installation is complete, install SQL 2000 DTS Designer Components from SQL 2005 Management Studio Feature pack.
- You should now be able to manage both SQL 2000 and 2005 server using Management Studio. However, SQL 2000 EM will still give you errors.
- To remove these, install SQL Server 2000 SP4.
You should now be able to run both SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager and SQL Server 2005 Management Studio without any issues.